Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Application
  2. Z-Type Visa
  3. Teaching
  4. Life and travel
  5. Support and safety


If I am not a native English speaker, can I still apply for the program?
Our company works mainly with teachers from Europe, please notify us what your nationality is when you send in your application. It is important that each applicant meets the criteria for teaching English in China: having a bachelor’s degree, a high level of speaking English and have a willingness to share the English language with students.
Do I need to speak Chinese in order to participate in the program?
No, it is not necessary. Most schools prefer that you do not speak Chinese. They would rather that only you speak English in the classroom. Knowing some Chinese will help you in your daily life outside of your classes and you will be picking up more Chinese every day. Your Chinese tutor will help you learn some of the basics of Mandarin (Chinese) before your classes begin. In some schools, a teaching assistant will help you out.
I just graduated but will receive my certificate later this year, can I still apply?
In case you just graduated or will graduate soon, please apply or get in touch with us at so we can see what is possible for you.
Do I need to have a certification for teaching?
It depends on your educational background and your work experience. If you studied to become a teacher at the University or you have two years of teaching experience, then you don’t need to have a certification for teaching. Otherwise, we prefer you to obtain 120 hours online TEFL certificate.
When is the best time for me to apply for this program?
The Chinese semesters start every March and September. We kindly recommend that you apply for our program at least three to four months before each semester starts. This will give us ample amount of time to help you with the visa application process.
Can couples participate in this program and teach in one school or one city?
We welcome couples to join our program. Some of our schools do prefer to invite couples to teach at their schools. It is possible for us to arrange for couples to teach at one school or in the same city, as well as arranging an apartment for them.
Is it possible for me and my friend to work in the same school or the same city?
Yes, it is possible. Many of our schools need at least two teachers. If there is a chance that we can arrange that you and your friend can teach at the same school, we will do what we can to make that possible. Also arranging an apartment for friends is normally no problem. We will make it as convenient for our teachers as possible.
When is the contract signed? Before or upon arrival?
Some of our teachers will sign the teaching contract before leaving for China, but some of our teachers will sign their working contract right after their arrivals. It depends on which school or partner agency we’ve matched you with. Either way you will get the exact information pertaining to your working hours, salary, meals, accommodation and more other information before applying for a Chinese Visa. All of this information will be stipulated in your contract.
My passport will expire in six months, can I apply for this program?
One of the requirements for getting a Chinese Visa is that the passport is valid for at least a year. In this case, we kindly ask you to apply for a new passport first.
Can I apply for this program if I don’t have a bachelors degree?
It is impossible to apply for our teaching program if you don’t have a bachelors degree. In case you’re interested in other opportunities in China, please contact our staff member directly via e-mail, our staff members will give you some useful information about other opportunities in China.
What kind of documents do I have to prepare before applying for the work visa?
  1. Curriculum Vitae (including work experience starting from senior high school, relevant teaching experience is preferred).
  2. Copy of your passport. (Only the page of your personal information).
  3. Copy of your bachelor's degree.
    This needs to be legalised. We’ll help you with the necessary steps to follow in the process of legalisation.
  4. Digital copy of Certificate of Police Clearance.
    This needs to be legalised. We’ll help you with the necessary steps to follow in the process of legalisation.

Which documents are recommended when I want to apply to become an English teacher in China? Some documents could make your application easier, for example:

  1. A copy of a 120h+ TEFL certificate
  2. Proof of teaching experience, for example, a letter of recommendation.
Are there any ‘hidden’ fees to join this program?
China Plus does not ask any fee from their candidates. China Plus was commissioned by the Chinese school or the Chinese partner agency to recruit, select and prepare qualified teachers to be employed in China. When the candidate arrives in China, the school will be in charge of helping them out with their requests and possible problems.

Z-type visa

What is a Z-type visa?
The purpose of a Z-type visa is visiting China for employment or commercial performances.
What is the difference between a Z-type visa and a work permit?
A work permit is provided for you by your new employers in China, while the Z-type visa is something you have to apply for yourself at a Chinese embassy or consulate. China Plus will apply for your work permit together with your employer in China, and the school will pay for it. The work permit is a document you need to be allowed to work in China legally. After receiving the work permit, you’ll be able to apply for your visa in your own country. We will instruct you on how to apply for the work visa at the visa centre. The visa will be for your own cost.
Who will pay for the visa fee?
You will need to pay for the visa fee yourself at the Chinese visa centre.
What is the process from my application up until receiving the visa?
Fill in the application form –> Interview with China Plus –> Send in the necessary documents for matching –> Wait for a match –> Prepare the documents needed to apply for the work permit –> Receive the work permit –> Apply for a Chinese visa at your local Chinese visa centre -> Start to work in China.
How far in advance should I submit my visa application?
You should apply well in advance before the planned travel date. You are advised to apply one month in advance, but no earlier than three months.
Is an appointment at the visa application centre or Chinese embassy required to submit the application?
To ensure that the process will go smoothly, we strongly encourage you to make an appointment well in advance for submitting a visa application. Before you visit the local Chinese embassy, our staff will always send you some important information in order to help you to apply for a Chinese work visa.
Is it permitted for someone else to submit my application to the visa centre on my behalf?
Generally speaking, you should submit your application in person and collect your passport with an issued visa. If circumstances prevent you from doing so (e.g. illness), you may entrust someone else to do it for you (no need to provide a power of attorney) providing that you have prepared all the documents required and that you have signed the application form.
When should I collect my passport?
The date for collecting your passport is shown on the pick-up form issued to you on the day of application. The visa centre will inform you of any changes or delays in processing or delivering your passport. In this case, the centre will let you know of the new return or pick up date for your passport. If your passport is ready for pick up, you can do so and pay the fee required at the visa centre. Please note that the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General will return all the passports overdue for collection to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General after the expiry of a visa; or 365 days after the refusal or issuing of the visa application.
What if I lost my pick-up form?
If you have lost your pick-up form, you must come in person to collect your passport. Kindly present your photo identity card to the centre’s staff for verification. Only after the visa centre confirms your identity card can the passport be released. If for any reason you are not able to collect the documents yourself, you can send a trusted representative to do the pick up for you. This representative should, however, be accompanied by a notarized power of attorney letter, stating that this specific person will pick up your documents on your behalf. Please note that this power of attorney should also be accompanied by the person collecting the documents’ identity card as well as your own identity card.
For how long should my passport still be valid if I’m applying for a Z-type visa for China?
Your passport should be valid for at least six months. However, based on our experience we would advise for your passport to be valid for at least a year (otherwise you will have to renew your passport in China, which can be a tricky process).
How long does it take to process a visa if I submit my application at the visa centre in person?
A visa typically takes four working days to process, that is if all the accompanying documents meet the requirements.
Can I extend the duration of stay of my visa in China?
You may apply for an extension of the “duration of stay” of your visa at a local public security authority before it expires, but without an assumption that the application will be automatically approved. Overstaying violates the laws of China and you will be punished.
Could you tell me what kind of items/belongings I can bring into China as a passenger?
We kindly advise you to visit the website of the China Customs for details.


Is previous teaching experience necessary to teach English in China?
The requirements for teaching states that you are from a European country and can speak fluent English, have a Bachelor’s degree and have the willingness to share the English language with local Chinese students. Having some teaching experience will count in your favour when going through the application process. Our Chinese partner agency or school will give you a training period for teaching Chinese students before you start to work in China.
What kind of schools are there? How many students are there in one class? How approximately does the working schedule look like?
We have both public schools and private schools. Most of our schools are public schools including elementary, middle and high schools, with the age of students ranging from 4 to 17 years old. There are 20 to 55 students in one class. Your duties as an English teacher are to help improve the spoken and written English of all the students. You are going to teach from Monday to Friday for 16-22 hours a week, usually with no office hours and with the weekends off to rest. If you teach at a private school, the size of the classes will be much smaller. You will have two days off during the week but not on the weekend.
How about the teaching materials, do I need to prepare them? What should I prepare for teaching Chinese students?
Our partner school will prepare the right teaching materials for you. After your arrival, you will be sent to a hotel for a few days, or there will be an apartment ready for you. After having acclimatised, our Chinese staff will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the office. You will have training at the office and receive your teaching material at the same time. Before you leave for China, you’d better prepare one demo lesson. After you arrive at our partner office (school), they will ask you to give a demo lesson to show them your teaching skills. They will give you some advice after the demo lesson.
When should I move to the school, who will pay for the travel expenses?
After you have finished the training, our partner company will help you move to the school. The company or the school will pay for your travel expenses from our partner company to the school.
Will I receive any assistance during my first class?
Yes, of course. The local teacher will help you with teaching in the first week. If you have any questions you can always ask the designated person who is responsible for you.
Are over hours mandatory?
Before you start to work, you will get a work schedule. If the time isn’t included in your working hours, you can easily refuse or ask for extra payment from the school. If desired, the English teacher can always contact us.
What can I do if I get sick during the week? Can I take a day of sick leave?
If you get sick and don’t feel well enough to teach, please contact your personal adviser as soon as possible to inform them about your situation. How many days are reserved for sick leave is clearly written in your contract.
Can I be transferred to a different school if I don’t like my current school?
Yes, it is possible for us to relocate teachers who can’t complete his or her job at the current school. But our company needs at least 4 weeks to arrange it for you. We kindly suggest that you inform us at least 6 weeks in advance if you want to teach at a different school.
Can I stop my working contract earlier in case an emergency situation occurs in my home country?
Yes, the company and the school will terminate the contract if the emergency situation is deemed serious enough.

Life and travel

Is there someone will pick me up at the airport?
Yes, of course, before you leave for China, we will introduce you to the person responsible for you, who will pick you up at the airport.
What will I do on the first day when I arrive in China?
You will be sent to a hotel or the apartment prepared for you. Take this time to rest and rejuvenate, after you restored your energy you will be visiting our partner company ( school) before you will be located at your school. You will be asked to give a demo lesson. Chinese staff/teacher will help you with opening of a Chinese bank account and arrange a ticket for you to move to the school.
Does the school provide an English teacher with accommodation? If so, what kind of accommodation (e.g. room, apartment, house share)?
In China, our schools will provide English teachers with an independent apartment. The apartments will have Internet, a heating system and more, depending on the school and the apartment. Some of our schools are offering a housing allowance.
Do I need vaccinations before going to China?

We would advise to ask your local health council or general practitioner for advice based on your personal situation. We advise to check on the following vaccinations:

  • Typhoid
  • Hepatitis A+B
  • Rabies
  • DTP
  • Yellow fever
How far is the provided apartment from the school?
Normally English teachers will live in the same building as other Chinese teachers. This is usually next to or near the school, about 10-15 minute walk. Some schools will find a separate apartment for their teachers near the school.
How much I can get paid?
You can get at least RMB10000 (which is around EUR1300 ) salary per month. If you have more experience and better or related degrees, your salary will be higher.
How about the living expense in China? Is the EUR1300 enough for supporting my life in China? How do the first month’s expenses work?
You will have a relaxing life in China with the EUR1300, as you don’t need to pay for your apartment and meals every month. Restaurants and clothes in China are not expensive at all. We kindly advise you to bring EUR500 extra with you to support yourself in the first month in China.
When will I receive my salary?

Normally you will receive your salary on the 10th of each month. You will find this information on the contract you have signed with our partner school.

With EUR1300, could I easily travel around China? Can I use my bank card?

With a minimum of EUR1300 salary, you can easily travel around China both by train and by plane. You can find a lot of affordable tickets on some websites, such as XieCheng and Qunar. Train tickets you better buy at the station. Use the website China Train Guide to check train times.

We kindly advise you to bring cash with you when you travel around China, as many Chinese stores do not have electronic payment terminals/points available.

How difficult is it to get around in China?
Getting in around in China is fairly easy, depending on the city you’re located in. Almost all bigger cities are connected through a state of the art high-speed rail network, which is both affordable and fast.
Can I get in touch with a teacher that’s currently teaching through China Plus in China?
Of course, If you wish more background information it might be very useful to talk with a teacher in China first. Send us an e-mail and we will see who is available to talk to you.
Should I bring a laptop?
You will be able to use computers provided at the school, but we suggest you bring your own laptop, which will make your life and communication easier in China.
Will there be Wi-Fi in my apartment and at my workplace?
Most of our school have wired internet access. Your apartment always has WiFi. Not in all of the places in China can easily reach Wi-Fi but it is possible to have Internet access since your phone will normally have a 4G-connection with your Chinese sim card.
Can I use Facebook, YouTube or Twitter in China?
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and G-mail are blocked in China. But some of our candidates in China made the use of these websites possible by downloading VPN software. There are many VPN services available for you to use both on your own computer and for your telephone; both paid subscriptions as well as free services. For a good VPN connection, we recommend using a paid service for good Internet speed. We recommend ExpressVPN.
When can I travel around China? Am I allowed to invite my friends or family to visit me?
School holidays will start in January and then again in July, each of these holidays will last at least 30 days. You can travel around China during these school holidays. Of course, you can travel around China on the weekends and during public holidays too. You will have your private apartment or room to live in; you are allowed to invite friends or family to visit. We prefer that you to inform your Chinese advisor and China Plus about your visitors and their stay. You need to ask the school if your family or friends were allowed to stay with you in the accommodation provided by the school. (The summer and winter school holidays are only possible for teachers who work at public schools).
Can I use my bank card in China?
Apart from your own card, you will get a Chinese bank account for free in China. Please be aware that most financial transactions in China are done in cash, however, if you wish to withdraw money from your bank account, in every city you will find ATM’s where that’s possible, most of the bigger Chinese banks.
Who will pay for the travel expenses from my country to China? How about the insurance?
The English teacher needs to pay for his or her own flight ticket to China. If the teacher completes one semester of teaching in China, depending on the school the teacher is matched with, the teacher will receive a flight allowance, normally varying between EUR600 and EUR800 per one way flight. The company will assist the English teacher with insurance; this insurance will cover you in case of an accident. The company will be responsible for paying the basic medical insurance, we kindly advise you to always ensure yourself with travel insurance as well, very useful in case of repatriation or lost goods.

Support and safety

Who will be responsible for me when I am in China, the school or someone else?
When teachers are working in China both our partner agency and the school will be responsible for you. Whenever you have any questions or problems in China, you should contact your personal adviser first and then contact us as soon as possible.
Who will be responsible for my insurance?
Our partner agency/school in China will arrange accident insurance for our teachers. The medical system differs from country to country; we kindly suggest that you buy international travel insurance before leaving for China.
Can I trust Chinese medicine?
As the culture, food and customs are different from the countries our applicants come from, we kindly advise you to bring some simple medication for fever, headaches or allergies (food or otherwise). When you need extra pills from a hospital, please ask a local Chinese friend to go with you, or ask the school medical office staff for some advice before you go.
How can I go to a Chinese hospital?
Normally, each of our schools has its own medical office. This medical office is there to advise you on medicine or medical procedures, we urge you to ask them for advice before going to a hospital. Your personal advisor can also assist or answer any questions you may have.
What should I do if some emergency happened to me such as a car accident or having been robbed?

Please contact the following numbers for emergency services in China; the primary emergency service numbers are:

  • Police telephone number: 110
  • Fire department telephone number: 119
  • Medical department telephone number: 120 We strongly recommend that you write these numbers down on a note and put it in your wallet, as well as making contacts in your telephone.
What should I do if I lost my passport during my travelling in China?
If you lost your passport in China, you almost have no chance to travel around, because you need to provide your passport number for buying train tickets and plane tickets. So please be extra careful with your passport. If you lose your passport, please inform your personal adviser as soon as possible, then find the nearest service centre located in or near the train station or airport. There they will help you to find a solution to your problem.



Thank you for contacting us! We will try our best to reply in at most three working days!

Google ReviewsPrivacy policy — Copright © China Plus, 2018

Cookie consent

The China Plus website uses cookies for functional reasons and for analytics & analyses of our website.

As per the GDPR directive, you have the choice to either accept our cookies or to customize which cookies we use.

For more information about how and why we use cookies, please consult our privacy policy

Cookie customization

We currently use the following types of cookies:

1 Functional cookies are essential for the operation of our website and thus can not be disabled.

For more information about these cookies, please consult our privacy policy